Sunday, 9 May 2010

San Francisco


Last weekend was San Francisco weekend! We love this city so we go back every now and then. It's a 1.5h flight from San Diego and the flight costs around $80 on sale. We left Saturday morning and arrived at our hotel close to Union Square at lunchtime. It was a specifically pet-friendly hotel. In case you miss your pet they would put a goldfish bowl in your room... We could resist. We spent the afternoon strolling through Chinatown with Christian, a friend from the Swiss Tropical Institute who is doing a postdoc in SF. I was happy that I could live my secret passion, photography. Selina is not so sure how much she supports it... On one hand she will have nice pictures, on the other she always has to wait for me or save me from getting hit by a car or pose for the camera. Saturday night we had a fantastic Eritrean diner with my former classmates Ingrid and Priska from Switzerland as well as their American husbands. We went to school together from 5th to 9th grade and we all live in California now. After diner they took us to Twin Peaks, the place you would take your date... I'm not sure it's that romantic because it's quite busy. But the view over San Francisco from the Golden Gate Bridge to the San Matteo Bridge is very impressive for sure! I love to look at cities by night! We ended the night with a couple of beers in Sausalito where Priska and Sam live. I could live there too.
Sunday was spent in the Golden Gate Park, the biggest park I have ever seen. We went to the Natural Science museum. Stupid nerds! It was great! Highly recommend a visit. For diner we went to "Saison" a very elegant and hip restaurant.
http://www.saisonsf.com/press.php
It's hidden in between houses and you enter the dining room through the kitchen. What followed was a 9-course menu (just one menu per night) that did not fail to surprise and paired wines that made the culinary experience just perfect. There were some flaws in the service but nothing dramatic. I fell asleep in the bus on the way back to the hotel. Early flight on Monday, back to work!

1 comment:

Jipes said...

Sounds like great tips for our future visit ;o)

Blog Archive