Muscle memory. I'm glad I grew up close to the Alps and hiking is somewhat like riding a bike. Once you know it you never forget. Selina, the city girl was less fortunate and felt her legs really bad; to my amusement. We spent the first part of our third day on the island snorkeling at Koloa landing. Beautiful! First we were greeted by another turtle before we started exploring the reef with lots of fish and coral. Poke (raw fish salad) lunch in Koloa, a relaxed little town a few miles from the coast.
I then spotted a beautiful Polynesian tattoo with a hammerhead shark. The "owner" pointed us to Farsyde tattoo a studio 10 steps away. I sort of always wanted a tattoo but never found the right occasion. The closest to getting one was more than 10 years ago on Tahiti, where I saw the Polynesian tribal tattoos for the first time. The shop was really cool and had a good vibe, the guys were nice and I decided that I want a manta ray on my shoulder. But, they were booked out, no appointment available... Destiny? Who knows. Instead we booked a dive trip and spent the rest of the afternoon at a beautiful beach. More snorkeling of course.
| Dr. Bopp observing wild chicken in the parking lot from the breakfast table |
Wednesday was another hiking day. Selinas legs had recovered sufficiently to start another adventure. This time we explored the otherwise inaccessible Na'pali coast from the North Shore. Beautiful hike along the coast and then into one of the valleys to reach a waterfall that even satisfied waterfall spoiled Swiss. The swim was actually amazing. Swimming on your back and looking up into the tumbling water was a new experience for both of us. Swimming across the water curtain and sitting behind the fall too. Back at the beach Selina found new friends in the form of three kitten. Wild but very friendly and well-fed. Another snorkel/swim in the lagoon before the drive home to relax our legs and another beautiful day on the island was over. I have uploaded a first set of photos, see link on the right. More to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment