Tuesday, 16 March 2010

The days are flying by!

The days and weeks are flying by and a lot has happened: I really love my new guitar but haven't found time to buy an amp. Gave a seminar in our building (mainly neurobiologists)... something like immunology for dummies but try to impress them with the complex stuff you're doing. We went to Big Bear with some friends for the weekend. Stayed in a house with hot tub, game room and everything you need for a perfect relaxing weekend. My top three moments: Saturday after snowboarding several hours I did some turns and realized I just love it, Saturday night right after snowboarding lying in the hot tub with a cold beer, snow flakes falling on my face, Sunday every single turn on telemark skis!
Last week then was very frustrating. Had an important experiment planned for Tuesday but had to cancel it because of problems with one of the lasers in our flow cytometer. This machine is something like the heart of our lab. Spent the rest of the week trying to fix it but made the situation even worse. The only positive moment I remember now (just talking about work) is when I was sitting in a seminar, sipping my coffee, realizing that I didn't put the lid properly on the cup. This could have led to a major and probably devastating accident... But the week ended with Selina's birthday, which was a very nice and pleasant contrast. We went to see Alice in Wonderland the new Tim Burton movie in 3D at the IMAX. Wow! We have seen 3D movies before but never at the IMAX. That's a little more intense... If you get an IMAX nearby go check it out! Ended the day with a nice diner and a bottle of good wine.
The weekend was entirely dedicated to Selina's birthday BBQ. Saturday preparation of food and drinks, Sunday cleaning... It was once more a great party with a lot of friends and also some new faces. This is when we feel even more at home in San Diego.
Monday I had to drive up to Santa Paula, north of LA to get the laser fixed. On the way back I got somewhat stuck in LA rush hour traffic. Quite a nightmare but this is where I remember my Japanese roots and take it as an exercise in meditation. Now we are back to work, work and more work. Writing a review article with my boss, which means reading a lot of articles in not too much time. I have to say it's not bad at all. Almost like learning for an exam and realizing that sitting back and studying is actually very satisfying.
Time to go to bed and rest! Went to the gym today, biking to work tomorrow and some good waves are rolling in. Hasta la vista!

1 comment:

Jipes said...

Tons of kisses and happy birthday to the lovely Selina. I'm sure you treat her tenderly ;o)

As for work you know the stuff when it's bad it can only get worse so keep a smile ;o)

Blog Archive