Tuesday, 9 August 2011

New lab

Ok, here is the full story about my last few weeks and why I have a new job. First and most important, all is well! It was an abrupt change and the first thing everything thinks is that there was a problem with my previous lab. Absolutely not! I have finished the project I was doing there and we (my boss and I) decided that it would be best for me to move on. Projects in science are never really finished, which makes it even more important to move on at the right time point. I could have stayed in the lab longer and tried to make more out of what I was doing. But you never know whether that will happen or not. That's how research is. So I decided to ask in the Winzeler lab whether I could continue my postdoc there. Elizabeth happened to just get a 1-year grant, which was perfect for both of us. She doesn't need to promise me a full postdoc and I don't have to commit to anything. For me it's a good transition back into the malaria field, where I see a possible future. I will try to combine what I have learned about immunology with my background in malaria. The first 10 days have already been exciting and I'm happy with my decision. I started talking to Elizabeth 6 weeks ago but it was all decided in 10 days. No 3 month notice like in Switzerland... This makes it still a little difficult for me to realize that I have left an awesome lab and am part of a new group. I never really wanted to work in the same lab with Selina but this time I have the impression that we could achieve some good things together! I'm really curious how this will turn out. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jipes said...

Back to the roots somehow ;o) I wish you a great time Bro'

Sheerkhan said...

I'm happy for you! Gonna be nice working so close with each other :) But...what about your plans about Switzerland?