Sunday, 5 May 2013

The move

Fitting all my luggage into Michi's Honda Fit
It's a week since I arrived in Boston on a sunny Sunday morning with two huge suitcases, a bike and my carry on luggage. Picked up a rental car and drove to a hotel in Cambridge where Selina just woke up. And that's where the next adventure started. Selina had interviewed in Dyann Wirth's lab (malaria) at Harvard Public Health School on Friday. Went well and she also had time to reconnect with some Swiss friends who are at Harvard or happened to be in town for a conference.

MIT
 Sunday and Monday we spent cruising around, checking out neighborhoods to figure out where we want to live. Monday I set up camp at the beautiful Extended Stay America next to the mall in Burlington, plain suburbia 30 minutes from Boston. It's a hotel room with a small kitchen close to my new workplace. Not a place you want to stay long term even though the guy at the front desk told us that there are people who stay for a year... My first days with EMD Serono were slow and good. Everyone is really nice and welcoming, especially my boss. 

The Mazdarati
Not being too busy at work I went car shopping, which I thought would be fun but turned out to be very tiring. But I found a good deal on a Mazda 3 at a local dealer. Returned the rental car on Saturday and picked up our new car. The Mazdarati as our friend Mike calls his. 

Our future living room
Next was apartment hunting. Most apartments here in Boston are offered by real estate agencies and not directly by the landlord. I met with two different brokers Saturday afternoon and was lucky enough to find something affordable that I really liked. It's in Huron village in north Cambridge. Close enough to the highway that I have to take to go to work and on a bus line to Harvard. Old Victorian style house. That's almost the only style you can find around here, which suits us just fine.
Today was the first day I didn't run around to arrange things. Instead I did go for a short walk in the forest, did some grocery shopping and laundry. That's it for now. Stay tuned for more news from the East Coast!

3 comments:

Jipes Blues said...

Looks like everything is going smoothly Bro I'm glad it does I'm sure you guys will enjoy the city and the working place !

kafi said...

=)

Sheerkhan said...

Looks and sounds fantastic! Very happy for you two! thumbs-up ;)

Blog Archive