
The regular blog readers might remember that we have been skiing with the Scripps postdoc association the years before. I was really looking forward to go riding a day. I miss snowboarding! I was even more excited as the weather forecast said something about snow. Bought new snow goggles for Selina, which was a story in itself. I have to add here that I actually like riding in snow storms. Yes, sunshine after a snow storm is of course better. Anyway, arrived at Scripps at 5am. No buses. 100 scientists waiting. Linda from our lab who organized the trip getting nervous. Finally the buses came everyone on board and back to sleep. Took us 5 hours to get there instead of 3. Mexican drivers are not used to mount snow chains and drive in snow... Didn't matter once we were there! Not even the pouring rain could stop us from hitting the slopes! The rain turning into something between hail and snow did slow us down a little bit... We had a lot of fun and the weather got better in the afternoon, meaning that we had real snow.

Old man found a freestyle park with giant kickers. Old woman found freestyle park with boxes and rails. She found herself face down in the snow after she slid to a halt on the box, skis slowly going apart into opposite direction. It was one of the funniest things I have seen this year! Hard to explain... What happened to the old man and the kickers? Hmmm, painful! After some failed attempts with not enough speed I decided that the rule not to take risks on the last run is for pussies. Attack! First one, full speed, nice jump, nice landing. Let's just keep the speed and take the next one as well. More speed, bigger jump... Do you know that feeling when you are in the air and you realize how your body starts to do a turn in the wrong direction and you cannot stop it? It was a damn hard landing. The sort where it stops your breath for a couple of seconds. Then I felt like throwing up for a minute before I felt ready to attack some of the smaller park features. It was fun!
Sunday was Super Bowl, the perfect excuse to relax at home. 151 million people watched the New Orleans Saints defeat the Indianapolis Colts. That is every second American! Was a very entertaining game with the underdog winning.
2 comments:
So Shinji have you seen this brillant Superbowl game ? So Wo dat hey :o)
I'm so happy for the New Orleans people !
BTW you both look very nice in your ski outfits ;o)
Diese Super Bowl war tatsächlich spannend! Unsereins schaut sich solche Sachen jeweils in Wengen an, live und bis frühmorgens. Aber diese Who mit ihrem Medley waren zum Wegzappen, muss man sagen.
Post a Comment