Sunday, 22 March 2009

Anza Borrego desert

It's that time of the year again when the deserts are blooming. Selina again convinced me to go and see it and this time I really liked it. But let's start at the beginning. Friday was one of these long days in the lab. Experiment from 8:30 to 22:00 with a 30min lunch break. Quite tough. But I didn't miss the chance to drink a beer at the happy hour of the institute. While I was at the FACS Selina enjoyed socializing in the lobby. The happy hour translocated to our place where I caught up we the others.
Saturday we got up early, picked up Eddie and headed to Anza Borrego state park. This is the closest desert to San Diego, a 2-hours drive. With Eddie the German we intended to do a hike for the "Völkerverständigung"... We did a beautiful tour to a small cascade, sort of an oasis with water and palmtrees. Lots of flowers and sunshine. 30°C... almost too hot for a walk. On the way home we stopped at a restaurant with an Austrian owner and enjoyed Wienerschnitzel! Mmmmh. This restaurant is located at the beautiful Lake Cuyamaca, rich in wildlife, especially birds. We saw several turkey vultures and a bald eagle. Unfortunatley, my new zoom lens was still with Fedex so that there's no pictures of this magnificent bird.

No comments:

Blog Archive