Sunday, 31 May 2009

The commuter

Finally, I got my new bike back and it's fully functional! Did my first commute to Scripps. One way is 13km and I can tell you I'm not used to biking anymore... But it felt really good. And you get another feeling for the distance you commute every day. Feels quite short by car! Now I plan to do this once or twice a week, which would be a nice training. It's actually quite funny when you are riding to work with your bag on the back and all the others you meet wear their fancy bike dresses. No one here bikes to work. Or if you do, it's a sport. But then on the other hand I don't know how long I'm gonna do this in jeans. Seems like real bike pants are a good invention.
Otherwise there's not much to talk about. May is the grey season in San Diego, especially close to the ocean. Most of the day we have a marine layer that covers our blue skies. Selina is complaining every day. It seems to be warmer and sunnier in Switzerland. I don't care.
We are still living in an economic crisis that we don't see. Also the new president is not something that we personally feel any difference. Yes we can see him on TV and hear news about the economy but nothing changed in our daily lives. The funding situation in research has improved a lot to the point where the NIH (same as BAG in Switzerland, most important source of funding) has to spend ridiculous amounts of money in a short period of time. Better than the other way round!
My personal research has slowed down a little bit right now after an intense start in 2009. I now have some really promising and interesting preliminary results. To proceed I have to do a next series of experiments, which need some setup work to be done first. And that's what I'm currently doing. I'll try to get Selina write a post about her stuff soon. Yes, feel free to hassle her!

2 comments:

jipes said...

Wish you great success in your research my friend ! BTW I don(t know if I told you but I fiund my National guitar a great old lady from 1931

kw said...

herrooooo!

Blog Archive