It's lately a little gray on the weekends in San Diego. No reason to complain but instead I'm gonna write about the tradition of the happy hour.
I have seen bars that have happy hour in Switzerland but as far as I remember this is very rare. Here in the US almost every bar has a time during the day when drinks and appetizers are cheaper than usual. Most of the time this is somewhere between 4 and 7pm. A good trick to attract people and for us a good time to go for a drink! But there is a second kind of happy hour, which I think is an even better tradition: Many labs, institutes, departments, societies have a regular happy hour where people come together after work (or in between) to have a beer and some snacks and to be with colleagues outside the normal working atmosphere. At Scripps we have one from the institute where we work and another one from the postdoc association. Both are always very enjoyable events, where we get a chance to meet other scientists (and get free drinks and food!).
I have seen bars that have happy hour in Switzerland but as far as I remember this is very rare. Here in the US almost every bar has a time during the day when drinks and appetizers are cheaper than usual. Most of the time this is somewhere between 4 and 7pm. A good trick to attract people and for us a good time to go for a drink! But there is a second kind of happy hour, which I think is an even better tradition: Many labs, institutes, departments, societies have a regular happy hour where people come together after work (or in between) to have a beer and some snacks and to be with colleagues outside the normal working atmosphere. At Scripps we have one from the institute where we work and another one from the postdoc association. Both are always very enjoyable events, where we get a chance to meet other scientists (and get free drinks and food!).
The thing that occupies me most at the moment (now that I have sold my iPhone) are digital SLR cameras... I think every man has to have something he plans to buy. This gives him the opportunity to collect brochures, study and compare different models and drive all females around him crazy. I remember my dad who would every now an then come home with car brochures just to be "up to date". So if you have a favorite digital SLR camera or brand let me know and tell me why I should buy the same. For those of you who are interested, I'm currently "studying" the Canon EOS 450D, Nikon D80 and Nikon D60.
For those of you who love to eat and go out (and may come to San Diego) you should check the Lei Lounge where we spent Saturday night.
For those of you who love to eat and go out (and may come to San Diego) you should check the Lei Lounge where we spent Saturday night.
3 comments:
lieber shinji
der sebi und ich träumen grad von der EOS450D.....
how much is it in US and A?
All I can say is that I bought a Bridge Fuji Finepix 6500D and I'm happy with it but the Canon has a lot of fans as well as the Nikon hard to decide
Dear Shinji
If you like you can have my D80, together with an 18-200mm VR lens.
It's too big for me and I would rather go for a Lumix F28, Fuji100 or Sony H50...write me if you're interested ;)
Post a Comment