
It is always a little strange to meet people from home in our new home. Same faces in a totally different environment, which is very familiar to me but totally new to them. But then it feels also absolutely normal and after 5 minutes it seems that it has always been like this. Enough philosophy for now. We picked up their rental car in a very unphilosophical car rental. Picked a Ford Cobalt in blue of course and left LA heading north on Highway 1. Our first stop led us to the rich people in Malibu. For those of you who watch "Two and a half men/Mein Onkel Charlie" this is where Charlie lives. For those of you who don't, Malibu is a few miles north of LA on the coast. This combination already tells everything. Veeery expensive! We continued our journey north and spent the night in San Luis Obispo. A place I would never have gone to but may go back to. A student city with a very charming slightly alternative atmosphere. The one main road had more charm than all the charm of San Diego's neighborhoods combined.
The next day we drove along the coast of Big Sur towards San Francisco. Yes, the north of California is famous for the fog and yes, there was fog. Nevertheless we could see some of the beauty of the coast and the fog actually created a very interesting atmosphere. After a long day of driving we arrived in SF to meet our school mates Ingrid and Priska for diner. It was a funny reunion far away from home. They both live in SF, both married to Americans. I enjoyed this trip very much and decided that we should go to SF more often. It's again about the charm and city feel that is completely absent in San Diego. I left very early Wednesday morning to catch a flight back to San Diego. I woke up to the voice of the pilot (female captain the first time in my life) who announced that visibility in San Diego is to low to land and that we would circle another 15 minutes. It took me a while to fully wake up and understand that the airport I clearly saw was LAX. Ok, we were already back in LA. Did that circle another couple of times until the captain made the "cabin crew prepare for landing" announcement. The fog was definitely dense and just when I could see the first houses on the ground I could feel the engines power up again and the nose of the plane lifting. Ok, landing aborted. That was sort of exciting. Less exciting was that I know from friends who landed in Phoenix or Las Vegas because of the fog. Please no, not a 5 hours bus ride after a 1.5 hours flight! Nothing like this happened we successfully landed from the other side and Selina was very happy to see me with my new sunglasses.
The next day we drove along the coast of Big Sur towards San Francisco. Yes, the north of California is famous for the fog and yes, there was fog. Nevertheless we could see some of the beauty of the coast and the fog actually created a very interesting atmosphere. After a long day of driving we arrived in SF to meet our school mates Ingrid and Priska for diner. It was a funny reunion far away from home. They both live in SF, both married to Americans. I enjoyed this trip very much and decided that we should go to SF more often. It's again about the charm and city feel that is completely absent in San Diego. I left very early Wednesday morning to catch a flight back to San Diego. I woke up to the voice of the pilot (female captain the first time in my life) who announced that visibility in San Diego is to low to land and that we would circle another 15 minutes. It took me a while to fully wake up and understand that the airport I clearly saw was LAX. Ok, we were already back in LA. Did that circle another couple of times until the captain made the "cabin crew prepare for landing" announcement. The fog was definitely dense and just when I could see the first houses on the ground I could feel the engines power up again and the nose of the plane lifting. Ok, landing aborted. That was sort of exciting. Less exciting was that I know from friends who landed in Phoenix or Las Vegas because of the fog. Please no, not a 5 hours bus ride after a 1.5 hours flight! Nothing like this happened we successfully landed from the other side and Selina was very happy to see me with my new sunglasses.
No comments:
Post a Comment