Monday, 17 November 2008

Die Sportskanonen im Sturm

I just realize it's much more fun to write about nice weekends than about computer hackers...
Talking about weekends. I completely neglected the blog! It's two weekends that I didn't update you.
Ok, ok... in chronological order: The last weekend I had one of these cool nights out in downtown San Diego where you realize that you are in a big city. I was in the rooftop bar of the Mariott Hotel, the Altitude bar (what a name...!). I have told you about this before. This is a place that you cannot find anywhere in Switzerland. It just has this really cool trendy big city feel. Of course that means that most of the people there are boring posers but it's fun anyway. I also met my first marine. He asked me to take pictures of him and his girlfriend and I took the opportunity to ask him about all the medals on his uniform: This one is for serving the country, this one for having been shot at, this one for fighting in the war against terrorism etc. I was tempted to start talking about Obama winning the election but I didn't want to spoil his evening or mine.
Saturday was a typical let's get things done day. Laundry, lab (me), beach (Selina). The evening we spent with our French and Belgian friends. Nice diner with a good bottle of wine with friends is always a pleasure.


Sunday was storm day! There was a very rare extreme weather event. A storm. We loved it. Actually it was nothing new to us, as this is pretty common in Switzerland but here we never saw the ocean as wild before. In the afternoon we went to see Melanie, a biologist friend from Irvine who was in La Jolla for the weekend. Her friend is an architect and they stayed at one of the houses of the owners of the company he works for. Their hobby is to collect architecture... This house was built in the 1920s by Rudolph Schindler (apparently a famous Austrian/American architect... hey come on, we cannot know everything!). Very cool summer house built around a courtyard. Everything is very open and gives you the impression to live outside.


Ok, I'm just gonna continue this post with the last week and make it really long. Monday was a good day for me in the lab! After weeks or rather months of frustration (or non-success) I did an experiment that looked promising and could get all my projects moving. No details but I was so relieved that I got a migraine the same night. Before the migraine we went to Neekesh's place from Selina's lab to celebrate his birthday with an Indian diner cooked by his mom. Delicious!
Thursday we had a lab lunch on the terrace of one of the best restaurants in La Jolla. It's hard to believe that it's going to be Christmas in 6 weeks when you are sitting outside for lunch in T-Shirt. At the moment the weather is just amazing. This is due to the Santa Ana winds from the desert. Unfortunately, these are also the winds that make the wildfires further north really bad.
Ok getting there! Saturday we played beach volley with Nico and Eddie from the lab. Eddie had challenged Nico and me. The losers have to invite the winners to see Madagascar 2. Lucile was the ref. Eddie and Selina played well but it was not enough... The movie (Sunday night) was fun! You cannot (or maybe you can) imagine how we felt every muscle in our bodies on Sunday. When did you do intense sport for 2.5 hours the last time? Me? Maybe 10 years ago? I put some pictures into an album.
Finally, Movember is going well. Everybody, myself included is surprised by my moustache. It's growing pretty impressively. Selina starts getting used to it. And to my horror some people even think it suits me well and could have been there before. I keep saying it completes me! And to those of you who supported my effort thanks a lot, you keep me going! No, not honest. I somehow like it anyway :-) And to all the others it's not too late! I'm growing this moustache to raise money (like Sponsorenlauf) for prostate cancer research. You can sponsor my mo on the following website:
Movember
It's easy (credit card) and goes to a good cause (the Prostate Cancer Foundation, not my moustache). You find more information on that website.
Cheers and sorry for any mistakes in that post; too long to go through again!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you Life is treating you nicely....

Blog Archive