Saturday, 29 November 2008

Thanksgiving I - Shamu

Thanksgiving! 4 days off! I'm not gonna tell you the story about Thanksgiving again... If you want to know why and when etc. google it! Anyway it's the biggest holiday in the US, bigger than Christmas. Always on the 4th Thursday in November everyone travels home and families gather around the table to eat Turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. As we do not have families on this continent we met with our replacement family Lucile and Nico and went to Sea World. This is together with the zoo the most famous institution in San Diego, mainly for it's number one attraction the "Shamu Show". Shamu is an Orca or Killer Whale. The show is really impressive but also very American and emotional. Sort of: When I was a kid I always had that dream... blablabla. Of course with music and beautiful pictures on huge screens. But the whales are really something special. I'm not gonna discuss here whether whales should be kept in zoos. Anyway, there was also the dolphin show, the pets rule show and the sea lion and otter show, fresh and saltwater aquariums and plenty of other things to see. Was a fun day and we have seen and touched things that were absolutely new to us.
For diner we were invited to Linda's place and guess what we ate? Yes, turkey! But Swedish style. Delicious! Lucile brought the pumpkin pie and Thanksgiving was perfect.

No comments:

Blog Archive